Witney Partnership Tag Rugby Tournament

Witney Partnership Tag Rugby Tournament 7th March ‘18


The Batt entered the Witney Partnership tournament, taking three teams to Wood Green School, defending the trophies that both the A and B team had won the previous year.

The C and B team would play in a round robin tournament playing five other teams in their group. The C team started off with a convincing 6-2 win against North Leigh’s B team with Leo and Charlie running in some great tries. They then took on a strong Madley B team who dominated possession to run out 3-1 winners. Two further losses against Tower Hill B and Batt B followed, however they returned to winning form in the last game beating Ducklington B 3-0 to finish in fourth place overall.

The B team shot out of the blocks running in seven tries in their first game against Tower Hill B, with Will M and Harvey dominating the play and providing great support, to finish convincing 7-2 winners. This was followed by a demolition of Ducklington B, 6-1. Tries were raining in during their third game against Madley B with The Batt hitting double figures, Caspar, Rocco, Tom, Will M and Darcy all on the score sheet as a 10-3 score line was recorded. This was followed by two more convincing wins against our C team and North Leigh B to leave The B’s as reigning champions for the second year, having scored 35 tries and only conceded 8 in their five games.

The A team played in a group stage against three other teams, starting off with a tough match against Our Lady of Lourdes, in a topsy turvy game, The Batt came from behind to run out 5-3 winners with Will S and Barney sharing the scoring honours. This was followed by two more convincing wins in their group against West Witney and Ducklington, winning 5-2 and 5-1 respectively, with Martha, Louis and Harvey also on the score sheet. This meant The Batt topped their group and went on to play Aston in the semi-final. A dominant display of quick closing and excellent support meant The Batt were peaking at the right time to make it to the final with a convincing 8-4 win. The final was a repeat performance against Our Lady’s and this time they were matching us try for try. As the game closed into the final stages, Our Lady’s managed to turn over the ball to give them a slender 1 point advantage and as the clock ticked over, the final whistle went with The Batt no more than five metres from the try line, losing out to Our Lady’s 6-5.

Congratulations to all involved in what was a great festival of Rugby.