Complaints Procedure Statement

If parents have a concern about their child’s education or welfare, they should initially talk to their child’s teacher. If the class teacher is unable to rectify the problem, the department leader will be able to support. If the issue has still not been resolved, parents should contact the Headteacher.

If, having gone through these channels, there is still a problem, parents should write to the Chair of Governors via the school.

Please refer to the Complaints Procedures in the Policies section under the Information tab for further details.